From pesticides and fertilizers used in cotton production to dyes in the manufacturing process, chemicals touch the clothes we produce. We were one of the first companies in our industry to establish a Restricted Substances List. And we are committed to doing our part to achieve zero discharge of hazardous chemicals by 2020.
Our Restricted Substances List (RSL) identifies the chemicals we will not permit in our products or in the production process due to their potential impact on consumers, workers and the environment. The RSL provides up-to-date information to our business partners, including direct sources and licensees, on product compliance with international consumer products regulations, to the best of our knowledge.
Building on our RSL, Levi Strauss & Co. joined the Joint Roadmap Towards Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC), an apparel industry collaboration to drive systemic change with a goal of zero discharge of hazardous chemicals by 2020. Such collaboration mirrors our belief that this collaborative approach to chemicals management is the most effective way to achieve the scope and scale necessary to meet the goal of zero discharge in the apparel industry.
RELATED RESOURCES — CHEMICALS-
- Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals Progress Update – January 2016
- APEO Investigation Report
- Chemical Use and Discharge Facility Reports – May 2013
- Chemical Use & Discharge Facility Reports – December 2013
- Roadmap Toward Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals – Quarterly Report – October 2012
- Roadmap Toward Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals – Quarterly Report – July 2012
- Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals Program 2014 Annual Report
- Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals Program 2013 Annual Report
- Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals Program 2012 Annual Report
Policies & Commitments
- Commitment to Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals
- Development of an Intrinsic Hazard Screening Methodology
- Levi Strauss & Co., Global Sourcing and Operating Guidelines
- Levi Strauss & Co. Greenpeace Detox Solutions Commitment
Other Materials & Documents